Amazing Facts about Africa's Big Five Animals
Interesting Lion Facts
- A lion’s roar can be heard up to 5 miles away.
More amazing facts about lions on Animal Planet
- Male and female lions greet each other by rubbing against each other.
From lion facts on WWF
Interesting Leopard Facts
- The largest cat species that climbs trees regularly, leopards can drag prey weighing up to three times their own body weight up into trees over 20 feet (6 meters) tall and they can hunt from trees.
From Our Amazing Planet
- Leopards are not only comfortable in water, they are in fact strong swimmers that sometimes eat fish and even crabs.
From National Geographic
Interesting Elephant Facts
- Elephants can get sunburned and throw sand on their backs and heads to prevent sunburn and keep insects off their skin.
From the Smithsonian
- Baby elephants are born blind and some individuals suck their trunks for comfort, similar to the way young humans suck their thumbs.
Interesting Rhino Facts
- All rhinos have three toes per foot making them "three-toed ungulates" and black rhinos run on their toes.
More rhino facts on Saving Rhinos
- Black rhinos can pick up small objects and even open gates and vehicle doors with their prehensile upper lips.
Interesting Buffalo Facts
- Buffalo are said to have killed more hunters in Africa than any other wild animal. Buffalos have good memories and are known to ambush hunters that have harmed them in the past.
- The only wild cattle species, females buffalos have strong bonds and if one individual is attacked the entire herd will defend the victim.
From BBC Nature