Now this looks like super-charged fun for the whole family - the 12th Gravity Adventure Festival inside the Kogelberg Biosphere Reserve, in the Western Cape. The mix of outdoor challenges ranges from river swimming and trail running to kayaking and mountain biking.
This adventure-packed weekend is just around the corner, taking place from the 16th to 18th August 2013. If you start training now you'll be ready to get in on the action, so mark this one on your adventure calendar!
A Whole Lot of Action over 3 Days - paddle, cycle,
There are 11 events for gown-ups and 4 childrens' events to choose from, which means there's something for everyone.
Here are the links to the 11 outdoor adventure events for adults:
- Rocky River Night Swim - 1.2 km open water swim in the Palmiet estuary (swim naked under the cover of dark if you're brave enough!)
- Black Diamond Night trail runs - 4km and 8km runs in and around the Kogelberg Nature Reserve, both on single track river trails and jeep tracks under the stars.
- Cape Winter Trail Series – XL, Long and short course - 23.3km XL route, a 13.8km course and the 5.6km short course, for the fit and getting-fit. The trails run along the river and through pristine fynbos flanked by scenic mountains.
- Black Diamond Rock Rally - over 40 climbing routes and 20 boulder challenges in under 7 hours, graded from 15 to 30 and ideal for first time rally climbers or for training.
- ARK inflatable Croc Sprint race - fast-paced whitewater rafting event where teams of two race down the notorious Judgement Day rapid, twice, with heats during the day and semi finals and finals after 4pm.
- Naish & SUP Cape Town Estuary Sprint - Stand Up Paddling race on a Long Course (6-8 km's) for experienced paddlers and a short-course (1-2km's) for beginners and kids, as well as a new Team Relay event and short Sprints.
- Paddlezone Kayak Sprint & Downriver - 4km Downriver Race and a Kayak Sprint, both racing against the clock, paddling twice for the best time, down the most notorious rapid on the Palmiet River, Judgement Day.
- WCAD Adventure Sprint Race - 30km Adventure Sprint Race for single or duo entries, by Western Cape ADventure (WCAD). A mix of Trail Running, Mountain Biking and River Tubing on one course to be navigated by map.
- Rocky River Swim - 1.6km river swim through small rapids and into the estuary to finish at the festival site. A cold-water race (layers reommended) that follows the format of a traditional mile long swim, but in a river.
- ARK inflatable Croc Downriver race - 2.5 km race down to the last rapid in inflatable boats, without any rules. Four heats, semi finals and a final sprint through the bottom rapid.
- Sportsmans Warehouse MTB - 30km Cross Country Mountain Bike race for all levels of experience, including some great technical riding and jeep tracks. A unique chance to ride a route usually closed to the public.
The 4 Kids' Adventure Events for the young ones include a 4 km mountain bike ride, a 2 km trail run, a fun swim and a fun paddle on the estuary (if the weather co-operates). There's even a jumping castle and other fun stuff at the festival hub.
Adventure Fest Location - where's the Kogelberg Biosphere?
The Kogelberg Biosphere Reserve is located just outside the coastal town of Kleinmond (about 8km's) in the Overberg Region. That's close enough to Cape Town to make a weekend of it, at just over an hour’s drive from the mother city. Nearby Kleinmond lies 90 km's south-east of Cape Town, between Betty's Bay and the famous whale-watching destination of Hermanus.
The Kogelberg Reserve is sign-posted from the R44 road along the coast, from where you turn onto a gravel road that takes you to the entrance (about 3 km's further).
What you Waiting for Adventure Lovers?
The Gravity Adventure Festival attracts adventure and outdoor enthusiasts from across South Africa, with over 1000 entrants in the 10 events held last year (2012).
It's well worth watching the thrilling outdoor events if you're too lazy or chicken to participate. The events all start and end near the main festival area, so you don't even have to mission to see the action. There's also an Adventure Film Festival to be watched, coffee to be sipped and tasty food to be devoured. Spectators and participants can also let their hair down on the Saturday night with the Live Band and DJ celebration.
So get amped up, get into some kind of shape and get the family together (or the friends ... or your bike and gear) and get to Kogelberg in August for some all-out adventure.
Find out more about the Kogelberg Biosphere Reserve in the heart of the Cape Floral Kingdom.
Watch Cape Nature's Oudebosch Kogelberg Biosphere: