It's not just the destinations that matter, it's about the journey!
Africa Overland Tours do not just focus on the travel destinations visited, these African trips are also about the actual adventure of travelling through Africa.
Experience Africa in a group, travelling by truck and staying at various scenic, convenient and tucked away places along the way. You get more than a bed at night and a bus ride!
Advantages of Budget Overlanding Africa Tours
- Affordable Travel in Africa for budget travellers - tour operators get unbeatable bulk deals.
- Travel with like-minded people - meet new people and make friends on the road.
- A safe way to travel in Africa - overlanding companies know the ropes.
- Customised overland vehicles - the trucks are designed for African journeys.
- Go to top travel attractions, as well as off-the-beaten-track places.
- Cover a lot of ground in a set period of time - getting the most out of your time and money.
- Easy way to travel - guided, organised tours without the hassles of having to plan everything.
Types of Budget Africa Overland Tours
- Accommodated Overland Tours - medium group size / comfort of accommodation / medium participation / value for money.
- Overland Camping Tours - big groups / generally aimed at younger travellers /best-priced tours / active participation.
- Exclusive Overland Tours - smaller groups / more style and comfort / less participation/ more exclusive.
- Family Overland Tours - shorter travel distances/ideal for families with children / meet other families/participation.
- Stay in basic 2-3 star chalets, bungalows, permanent tents and sometimes youth hostels.
- Share two per room, except in East Africa where it's dormitory style (upgrades available at extra cost).
- Step up from camping - well-selected accommodation in most of East, Central and Southern Africa.
- Some participation is required on tour (usually assisting with meal preparation on a roster basis).
- Enjoy the comfort of accommodation while experiencing the adventure of travelling overland in a group.
- Group size of about 18 people of various ages usually from 18 to 45 years.
- Most East African tours do not charge a single supplement.
- Camp under African skies as you experience the adventure of a lifetime.
- Camping at rest camps and bush camps in game parks or near places of interest.
- Excellent value-for-money African trips, ideal for budget travellers and the young at heart.
- Full participation - help with meal preparation on a roster basis, and making/ dismantling camp.
- The average age of travellers on the camping tours is generally between 18 and 35-years-old.
- Share your African experience with like-minded travellers, getting to know new people.
- Group size of around 28 travellers (max), but the average is usually smaller.
- Experience more style and comfort on your African Safari.
- A mix of lodge/chalet (fixed) accommodation and camping on tour.
- Smaller group size (maximum 16), making for a more exclusive experience.
- Better equipped safari vehicles for more off-the-beaten-track travel.
- Less participation required, as two guides usually accompany you on your trip.
- At least one Registered Guide on the tour that is a qualified, full-time professional.
- Spacious and well-ventilated canvas walk-in dome tents (two-man), plus canvas mattress.
- More activities included than on regular overlanding tours.
- Generally, meals are of a higher standard as there is a dedicated cook.
- Designed for families with children, combining wildlife and adventure for all ages.
- Active participation - each member of the family helps with the day to day running of the Safari.
- Camping accommodation in two-man dome tents, except on mobile camping safari options.
- Reduced travel times on the truck, better suited for children and their high energy levels.
- A safe and hassle-free way for families to travel in Africa on a budget.
What to expect on Africa Overland Tours
- Participation and teamwork - not boot camp, just some help setting up camp and preparing meals at camp etc (less participation is required on Exclusive Overland Tours).
- A shared experience - meet new people travelling in the tour group and work as a team while you discover the magic of Africa.
- The unexpected - Overland Africa Safaris adapt to conditions on the road (weather, politics etc). This sometimes requires a slight change of plan - this is Africa after all!
- A variety of African experiences, from cultural interactions with indigenous tribes to game viewing in wilderness areas and enjoying an array of adventure activities.
- Knowledgeable and helpful tour guides/leaders ready to answer questions and share their stories, as they ensure that you enjoy a safe and exciting trip through Africa.
- Free time to relax, unwind and have plenty of fun on your journey.
When Overlanding in Africa, do not expect...
- To sit back and do nothing, while the guides and staff to do everything - participation is key to the overlanding travel experience.
- All to run according to schedule and exact plans. Africa is full of surprises, so bring a hearty sense of adventure.
- The lap of luxury in sanitized and completely western-style establishments. Overland tours are for discovering authentic Africa.
- All activities and extras to be free - check the tour itinerary or ask your tour operator to clarify which activities are included.
Overlanding is ideal for fun-loving and free-spirited budget travellers, ready to experience the real adventure of travelling through Africa!
Overland Africa Destinations - where can you go on overland tours?
There are countless destination and tour route options to choose from when it comes to overlanding in Africa. Our most popular African Safaris include numerous overland tours, listed by country as follows:
- Kenya Safaris - Masai Mara, Amboseli, Lake Nakuru, Samburu, Tsavo / browse upcoming tours departing from Nairobi
- Tanzania Safaris - Serengeti Park, Ngorongoro Crater, Kilimanjaro, Zanzibar, Selous / see upcoming tours departing from Dar es Salaam
- Botswana Safaris - Okavango Delta, Chobe Park, Kalahari Desert, Makgadikgadi Pans / browse upcoming tours departing from Maun
- Namibia Safaris - Etosha Park, Namib Desert, Swakopmund, Fish River Canyon / browse upcoming tours departing from Windhoek
- South Africa Safaris - Kruger Park, Cape Town, Garden Route, KwaZulu-Natal / see upcoming tours starting in Johannesburg or starting in Cape Town
- Zimbabwe Safaris - Victoria Falls, Hwange Park, Matobo Park, Great Zimbabwe Ruins / browse upcoming tours departing from Victoria Falls