Arusha - gateway to the best-loved Northern Tanzania Safari Circuit
Where is Arusha located?
This bustling town is located on the lower slopes of Mount Meru, the 5th highest mountain in Africa, on the eastern side of the Great Rift Valley in northern Tanzania.
Arusha is the capital of the Arusha Region, surrounded by lush coffee, wheat and maize farming estates in the northern highlands of Tanzania.
Highlights of Arusha
- Game viewing on the Northern Safari Circuit in Tanzania
- Scenic mountain location, with views of Mount Meru and even Kilimanjaro
- An abundance of restaurants, night clubs, bars and coffee houses
- 40 minutes to Arusha National Park by road
- Hosts Tanzanian festivals and the National Natural History Museum
When to visit Arusha
Lying at an altitude of about 1400m (4600 ft) above sea level, Arusha, experiences a mild climate.
- Best time for Northern Safari Circuit: peak safari season is from June to October.
- Great Migration: between July and August, and from November to March.
- To climb Mount Meru: June to February, excluding November (rains).
- Best views of Kilimanjaro: from December to February.
Quick Facts About Arusha
- Arusha is the half-way point on the legendary Cape to Cairo Route
- Two airports - Kilimanjaro International Airport and Arusha Municipal Airport
- Upgraded from town to city status in 2006
- Population of about 333 791 to 500 000
- Named after a local tribe, called the Wa-Arusha, or Larusa